Friday, April 4, 2008

Music and Language... the pulse of the world (wide web)

I really like the idea of the social music sites especially last.fm. It would be really fun to have a "radio station" tailored specifically to you and your tastes. I find I am most productive when I have music playing in the background whether it be having the radio on while I'm cooking dinner or cleaning up or listening to my MP3 player while I exercise or go for a walk. Having my favorite songs play back to back to back would get me really pumped up.

I also really liked the idea of the Mango Languages and think that could be a really neat program to offer at the library. I quickly glanced through one of the free lessons of the French program and really liked how they explained things and laid it out. This could be a great extension to the library's program of the Conversation Circle. I've always wanted to learn another language and think if the library offered something tied with Mango I would be there. Although it's a do-it-yourself course just having the support network of other people to get it done would be fun. If there are library workers or people in the community that speak, for example, French why not have a French evening and anyone interested in learning the language could come and do the course and if there were any questions you could ask the facilitator. I have taken correspondence courses in the past, and while I did learn from them, I really missed the social aspect of being in a classroom with other students and having a teacher. I think this would be a great outreach to offer to the community. The library currently offers that conversation circle for people new to the English language why not offer a program for English speakers to learn a second or even third language? This would be a great way to tie in the English conversation circle people as well as I'm sure they'd be thrilled to offer their knowledge of their native tongue.

To close, I wanted to share my feelings on the question, Are CD's dead? Ever since I got my MP3 player I have to say, yes, they are. I love being able to download the songs that I want and not have to buy the whole CD just to get 3 or 4 songs that I actually like out of the 12 - 14 that may be on there. I was given a CD for Christmas this year and the first thing I did was "rip" the songs that I liked and transferred it to my MP3 player. Now that I've been introduced to the wonderful world of downloading music and the compact size of MP3 players I don't think I'll ever go back to using CD's or CD players.

No comments: