Friday, April 18, 2008

My Vacation Video Library



Although this isn't the best quality video, it was the only one I could find that actually had live footage and not a photo montage. I first heard of Owen and Mzee from a children's book and was very intrigued by the special bond and unique relationship these two animals share. Despite the wide spread devestation the 2004 tsaumani in Asia caused around the world, this is one touching and heartwarming story that came out of it. (I am also very proud of myself for learning how to embed this video into my blog. It took a few minutes to figure out, and I had to consult the Help section but I was able to do it and it worked on my first try! Whoohoo! Once again, I can say I am definetely expanding my skills since taking Discover 2.0!).

I've always enjoyed surfing around "user friendly" YouTube and have found many interesting and educational things on it. I liked learning and seaching around the other video sites (blip.tv, Revver, and MetaCafe were my favorites from this unit) and found all of them really easy to use. I had only ever heard of YouTube before this unit, so enjoyed exploring the other video sites and seeing what they had to offer.

I think using videos would be a great thing to incorporate into libraries. We could embed some "How To" videos on the library's homepage about the Dewey Decimal System and how to search for books using the DDS. I also think it would be a good idea to have people leave short videos about books they've read and enjoyed (like FVRL's Sam Wallin's One Minute Critic project). Using short video clips would definetely enhance people's experience in the library!

No comments: