Friday, April 18, 2008

Wrapping up my Trip Around the World (wide web)

Overall, I really enjoyed the Discover 2.0 program. While I thought I had a pretty good idea of how to do certain things on the Internet (Blogging, Facebook/MySpace), I learned through this program that there was a lot I didn't know and had never heard of (ie: Twitter, Mash-ups, Google Docs).

Some of my favorite discoveries were the Mash-ups and Google Documents. I also thought that the Common Craft videos were very creative, fun, and easy to understand. I became a huge fan of the Common Craft videos and was excited when I was doing a unit that featured them. I really enjoyed keeping a blog too. I have always liked writing and expressing my thoughts, I just hadn't done it for a long time. Setting up this blog encouraged me to get back to writing and expressing myself.

The program also challenged me and my 7 1/2 life long learning habits. The one I said I struggled with the most was "Habit #3: View problems as challenges". I easily get frustrated with technology when something doesn't work but through this program I just kept trying to do the newly acquired skill until it worked. Some things were very difficult for me such as adding the Meebo box to my blog while others I caught onto really quickly (posting a picture or video). While some of the things took me a couple of tries, I always felt a sense of learning and accomplishment when I was able to get it to work. The Discover 2.0 program forced me to think outside my technology box and develop new skills I didn't know existed.

One thing I'd like to express as feedback would be (and I hope I don't get in trouble for saying this)is that since this was an "extra curricular" learning thing and not mandatory I feel we should have been able to work on it on our own time. I personally wouldn't have had a problem with that and wouldn't have minded... the reward at the end was motivation enough for me to want to finish the program!

Thank you and Bon Voyage!

No comments: